Barista / Roasting Apprentice
Virginia Beach, VA
About the Job
Constantly innovating, focused on the highest quality coffee available, Fathom Coffee is Virginia Beach’s original nano roaster. Our philosophy is putting people first, educating the community on coffee origins, brewing methods, and roasting techniques. Since starting as a hobby in 2016, we have grown to a full-service coffee destination located in the ViBe Creative District, only 3 blocks from the Atlantic Ocean.
We are looking to expand our team with someone seeking to participate in all aspects of the coffee shop and roastery. From providing world-class engagements with our loyal customers to educating first time visitors to roasting, packaging, labeling and shipping coffee, you will be an integral part of our growth.
What You’ll Do
- First Week: You’ll learn about our processes. From sourcing the best green beans to our scientific approach to roasting, you will take part in a crash course in coffee production. You’ll learn how to craft the best coffee experience for our customers, using a variety of the most advanced coffee roasting and brewing apparatus on the market.
- First Month: You’ll spend equal amounts of time working as a barista, as a roaster, as a logistics technician, and as a shop grunt! You’ll begin to learn what regulars enjoy.
- First Six Months: You’ll work full time in the operation. You will expand your knowledge of coffee origins, flavor profiles, recipes, and begin to identify opportunities for improvement.
- First Year: You will experience all aspects of our business. It will now be time for you to move into a management position and begin training the next set of employees on our team.
- You are known for being a full-fledged coffee geek. You take pride in being an expert in your field and thrive on building new skills.
- You drink coffee black. You drink lattes. You drink cortados. You drink pourovers. You drink espresso. You drink hot coffee. You drink cold coffee.
- You live to interact with people. You build relationships. As a people person, you remember customers. You remember their preferences. You help make recommendations and help them advance on their coffee journey.
- You have at least five years of coffee addiction.
- You regularly dedicate time to educating yourself, learning about trends in the industry, and taking any opportunity to develop your skills.
- You are reliable, responsible, honest, trustworthy, and dedicated.
- You can help move 130 lb bags of green coffee beans. It’s mostly dragging the bags.
- Extra points: you can do latte art, you are a Veteran, you can sing while you sling coffee.
- We’re a close-knit team of coffee lovers. We take pride in what we do and seek out opportunities to share our passion for coffee with others.
- We believe that all opportunities are a two-way street. Our team is given the tools to be successful and they are given the opportunity to grow and be successful with us.
- We are constantly innovating and experimenting. We use tools and processes to enhance every aspect of the customer experience.
- We are dedicated to growing the company in a sustainable way – we don’t cut corners, and we never settle.
- We are a small team, so we take care of each other and we support each other as we grow together.
Our Work Environment
- Fathom Coffee operates out of a tiny space. We are located behind Commune in a small space accessible from both Baltic Avenue and from 17th Street. We currently do not have indoor seating. Customers typically grab their coffee to go – but we also have access to outdoor seating in the front and back of the shop.
- We are open for customers from 0700 – 1500 daily. We will also work until 1600, when production requires additional hours.
- We have a relaxed atmosphere and a space that is constantly changing, based on customer inputs and desires.
If you are interested in expanding your coffee knowledge, being part of a fast growing company and contributing directly to the success and growth of the coffee scene in Virginia Beach, we want to talk to you!
Position Details/Compensation Structure
- This is an entry-level position. You will be considered to be an apprentice until you demonstrate the capacity to operate all aspects of the business independently. The position starts at $11/hr plus tips. Targeted earnings (including tips) will be in the range of $17.50/hr – $20.00/hr. You will receive a performance review at your 3-month and 6-month anniversaries.
- Benefits: 401(k) match, health/dental/vision insurance